Please note that this service is only available on flights booked through our US website - wowair.us.
- No special charges, weight restrictions or cage requirements apply.
- The dogs may not occupy a seat or the walkway. If possible, please use a muzzle and/or leash for your emotional support dog when boarding the aircraft.
- WOW air does not accept liability if an emotional support dog is denied entry to the destination country. It is the passenger's responsibility to ensure that the service animal is good to enter the EU. More information here: http://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-movement_en
The following requirements must be met:
- WOW air only accepts emotional or psychiatric service dogs when the passengers is able to provide current documentation stating the necessity of the service dog.
- The documentation must be no older than one year from the date of the passenger‘s scheduled flight.
- The documentation must be issued by a licensed mental health professional, either a psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, including a medical doctor specifically treating the passenger‘s mental or emotional disability.
The documentation must state:
- that the passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and StatisticalManual of Mental Disorders – Fourth Edition (DSM IV)
- that the passenger needs an emotional support animal or a psychiatric service dog as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger‘s destination.
- the individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional and the passenger is under his/her professional treatment.
- the date and type of the mental health professional‘s license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.
Booking an emotional support dog
- Emotional support dogs must be booked via our Customer Service Center at least 48 hours prior to departure.
PLEASE NOTE! For our guest to be able to travel with service and emotional support dogs, they must have an authorization from MAST - the Icelandic Food and Veterinary Authority.
MAST - the Icelandic Food and Veterinary Authority - requires travelers with service and emotional support dogs to send an email to email@example.com with the following permit application for service dog/an emotional support animal filled out and following information (documents):
- Copy of a letter/statement from the traveler‘s physician confirming the dog‘s role as an emotional support animal.
- Copy of the dog‘s registration documents (service dog certificate) as an emotional support animal, if available.
Once MAST has received this information, they can issue the authorization for the dog to travel through Iceland.
Identifying an emotional support dog
The service dog must be easily recognizable as an emotional support dog. It must have an ID card; written documentation proving his ability to act as an emotional support dog; a harness and/or tags, plus any further documentation required in the destination country where the dog will be entering.
Traveling to the United Kingdom
Emotional dogs are not allowed on flights to the UK and we have strict rules regarding importing dogs to Iceland. See below.
Connecting through Keflavik Airport in Iceland
Dogs in transit are not permitted to come in contact with other animals at the airport according to rules and regulations from the Icelandic Food and Veterinary Authority. Passengers traveling with service dogs, who are connecting through Keflavik Airport must wait for their connecting flight in a designated area at the airport. At the time of departure, a member of staff at the airport will accompany the passenger and the emotional support dog to the departure gate.